2 Year Old Toddler Program Curriculum
Two-year-olds are active, affectionate and sometimes strong-willed. It is a time when they begin to notice and explore the world. Much of their learning occurs through imitation and play. By promoting independence and developing their emerging awareness of social behavior, we help your two year old discover life beyond their own little world.
Learning through play is key to building a desire for learning in a young toddler! Our curriculum addresses each toddler’s growth and development by following his/her readiness cues. Daily themes and activities are designed to incorporate the developmental areas including: Sensory & Perception, Language & Communication, Emotional, Cognitive, and Physical.
The following are the broad goals that are emphasized in the two-year-old toddler program. Social/Emotional Skills The goal is for children to feel loved, valuable, competent, and learn to trust others.
- Develop positive feeling about him/herself
- Begin to make friends
- Begin to take turns
- Share with friends
- Accept one’s feelings and express those feelings in appropriate ways
- Develop self- help skills and independence
- Language and Speech
- Increase the ability to communicate by developing listening skills, increasing vocabulary, and expressing ideas
- Follow simple directions
- Develop longer attention span
- Develop an interest in books/story time
- Introduce print awareness
Fine Motor Skills- Develop eye-hand coordination and the control of small muscles through the following activities:
- Painting(with brushes, fingers, dot painters, sponges)
- Building with blocks
- Stringing Large Beads
- Sorting objects by type
Large Motor Skills – Develop coordination of large muscles
- Runs, walks, hops, jumps, skips, and climbs
- Develop ability to throw and catch
- Rides trikes or other ride on toys
- Bean bag games and movement
- Begin to walk the stairs with alternating feet
Introduced throughout the day through games, books, songs, and other interactive centers. Small and large group experiences are designed to introduce and reinforce these skills:
- Recognize some basic shapes and colors
- Stays on task while doing craft or activity (3-5 min.)
- Beginning recognition of numerals, 1-5
- Counting to 5 (or farther by rote)
- Beginning recognition of upper case letters
- Developing concept of matching, comparing
- Begin to sort objects by color, size, type, use
- Begin to develop a concept of time and sequence by following a daily schedule.
- Increase the ability to learn about the environment through the use of the five senses
- Begin to observe seasonal and weather changes and relate hem to change in their own dress and activities
- Begin to understand the process of growth in plants, animals, and themselves
- Identify major parts of the body
- Practice basic rules, of health/safety by washing hands, covering mouth when coughing, tissue to wipe nose.
The Toddler curriculum is designed to enhance the development of each individual child while challenging them to extend their skills and levels of understanding. Children this age fit into a wide range of developmental levels, so we provide many open-ended activities and experiences.